Stay updated on the latest industry-related news.  Our news is updated daily.
Not yet a Children In Film member? Click here to view member benefits
Back to News

Protecting Your Child Actor in California

October 15, 2014

Protecting Your Child Actor in California

Julie Su, California Labor Commissioner, recently contacted us at ChildrenInFilm, asking for our help in making parents aware of the California law that protects your children.

AB 1660 requires anyone working with child performers (Managers, Coaches, Publicists, etc.) who is not already licensed by the State (Teachers, Agents) to be background checked, ensuring that no one with a criminal history of sexual abuse is allowed to provide services to child performers. This requirement went into effect July 1, 2013.

The State of California confers a Child Performer Services Permit (CPS) as evidence of compliance with a current background check.

Why is a Child Performer Services (CPS) permit of importance? This is in place to protect children and their parents from working with registered sex offenders. It mandates that any person who performs specified activities or services for minors in the entertainment industry must obtain a CPS permit from the Labor Commissioner’s Office.

The law is not well known. In fact, not many of those who work with minors have applied for this permit. The California Labor Commissioner, Julie Su, recommends that parents should expect and require to see a Child Performer Services permit from any adult who provides a service to their under 18 year old child.

This includes:
  • Photographers: Those who provide still, digital, video and film photography.
  • Managers: Those who manage the advancement of your child actor’s career.
  • Coaches: Career counselors who evaluate or plan a child’s career.
  • Public relations or publicity: those who arrange personal appearances, manage fan mail, distribute press packages.
  • Camps: Owners, directors, and camp counselor staff for camps for artists or performers.

  • Private use, home use, only occasional contact with minors for under 10 feet and under 10 minutes of time.
  • Permits are not required for minors under the age of 18 at any church, academy, or school (including dance schools as part of services, activities, or graduation.
  • Permits are not required of those whose contact with minors is limited to situations where by law or regulation, the minor must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times.
  • People licensed as Talent Agents or who operate under the license of a talent agent are excluded.
  • California Certified Studio Teacher/Welfare Workers who hold a current valid ‘green card’ are also exempt.
If you are an industry professional doing business in California and need to apply for this permit, click here to begin the Child Performer Services Permit Application process.

If you are a parent and want to find out if an industry professional holds a child performer services permit in California, click here.
For more information, visit the FAQ page for CA.gov.